Sunday, December 12, 2010

weekender muffins

After many rounds I finally mastered my muffin base recipe about 6 months ago. Since then, I make a variation of the below muffins almost once a week. The great thing is, you can mix up your add ins. A few of my favorites include the variation I made today:

1/2 a bag of frozen raspberries, juice of a fresh lemon and a teaspoon, give er take, of the rind

1 ripe banana mashed with 1/2 a bag of frozen blueberries, or a chopped apple

or just blueberry or raspberry...the possibilities are obviously endless!

Mix all the dry ingrediants, then the wet, blend. Fold in your fruit. Bake these for 19 minutes at 400 degrees and you are set! This makes 10 muffins, and in case I am not the last person in the world to figure this out... foil baking cups are AMAZING. You don't lose the bottom of your muffins when unpeeling!

1 1/4 cups 100% Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 cups Quick Oats Oatmeal
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend (or 1/4 a cup of brown sugar)
3/4 cup Vanilla Almond Milk (unsweetened)(sweetened works as well) (or just plain milk -just add a little vanilla extract)
1/4 cup Egg Whites (or one egg)
1/4 tsp Salt

1 comment:

Angie said...

Recipe update. I've upgraded this recipe to be a bit healthier over the years. I now use 1/4 a cup of melted coconut oil rather than vegetable oil and 1/4 cup coconut sugar or organic cane sugar rather than the splenda. Rolled oats also work just as well as quick. Happy muffin making!