Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mojito Freeze

I have been experimenting a lot in Kitchen a la Violet (sounds good to me?) I have a few winners to share starting with a tasty dessert from the summer Kraft Food and Family mag.

I wanted a quick dessert. I usually have homemade brownies on hand, I make a pan about once a week, but with the warm weather I was in the mood for something different! I perused my Kraft mag and cookinglight.com and ended up going with the Mojito Freeze.


I made this on Sunday so we have already had a chance to indulge twice. The recipe said to let it freeze 4 hours before serving. I waited about 2.5 and it was perfect.
The next night it was really frozen so it needed to sit out for about 30 minutes before indulging. This was a great treat, it really tasted like a mojito, which, well, made me want a mojito! The recipe some alternate options such as below. I may try the strawberry version next time!

On a side note, the leftover mint leaves make a great addition to ice tea! I've been tearing up 2 or 3 leaves and throwing them into my crystal light green tea along with a lime for a refreshing summer mocktail!






To keep this on the lighter side I used fat free cream cheese and splenda sugar. I also use blue bonnet butter because I find it to be slightly less in fat than other brands. I went with regular cool whip because, hell, a little fat is good for you!

What You Need!

1 cup finely crushed pretzels 1/4 cup
(1/2 stick) butter melted
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese softened
2/3 cup sugar
Zest and juice from 1 large lime
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided

Make It!
MIX pretzel crumbs and butter. Press onto bottom of plastic wrap-lined 9-inch round pan. Freeze until ready to use.

BEAT cream cheese, sugar, zest, juice and mint with mixer until well blended. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups COOL WHIP; spoon over crust.

FREEZE 4 hours. Serve topped with remaining COOL WHIP.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Strawberry Margarita Freeze Omit Mint, Mash 1 and 1/2 c strawberries. Add to cream cheese mixture with coolwhip.

Pina Colada Freeze Omit lime zest, juice and mint. Add 1 can (8 oz.) DOLE Crushed Pineapple in juice and 1/4 cup toasted BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut to cream cheese mixture with the COOL WHIP. Garnish with additional coconut, if desired.Make AheadDessert can be stored in freezer up to 24 hours before serving.

No comments: