Friday, January 30, 2009

Experimenting with simple desserts



This week my sweet tooth kicked and inspired me to play in the kitchen. My first experiment was a pumpkin pudding.

The ingredients go something like this:

1 package of instant fat free/sugar free vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
cool whip or redi whip
1 can of pumpkin
cinnamon to taste
all spice to taste
nutmeg to taste
and splenda sugar mix to taste(optional)

First I made my pumpkin mix. I played with the seasonings and taste tested until I got it right. Next I made the vanilla pudding according to the instructions on the package. I let the pudding set for a minute then used the mixer to add the pumpkin and pudding together. I chilled for an hour or so then served topped with some redi whip! A nice light, healthy dessert.

I just completed my second experiment this evening. Mike and I both ate two bowls, so I'd say success. This was inspired while I was strolling through the grocery store today. I saw a cherry fluff like dessert and thought I could make a healthy version!

Ingredients:

1 package fat free/sugar free vanilla pudding
2 cups of milk
1 can of cherry pie filling, I opted for the low sugar, splenda version
1 normal sized fat free cool whip thawed
red food coloring, optional

First I mixed my pudding according to the directions on package. Next, with the mixer I added the cool whip. I then folded in the cherry filling and added four drops of red food coloring to make it more pretty. Last, I placed it in the fridge to set for a while.

This was really tasty, one thing I need to work on is the consistency, it wasn't as thick as I would have preferred. Next time I need to possibly let let the pudding mix set a bit before mixing everything together, or fold in the cool whip in rather than use the mixer. It was still tasty and there's more for tomorrow! yumm....

No comments: