Thursday, January 8, 2009

Video Killed the Radio Star, Then Video Killed Itself

Being born in 78' I was a true child of the 80's. Aside from my rainbow brite dolls, trapper keepers, jelly shoes, scrunchies, spandex, polka dots, drive ends, arcades, jean jackets, breakdancing.. OK, I'll stop! There was the iconic MTV. I lived and breathed MTV. Living in Iowa I dreamed of the places where these people were from and where these videos took place. From new wave and synth pop to hair bands, this was the era when MTV played music and the era when I dreamed of what would come in my later years.

Today times have certainly changed. MTV turned its back on videos long ago. For a while there was MTV2, where you could still catch a decent video once in a while. Now MTV features pop tarty shows that are a dime a dozen and MTV2 replays the ones that have been cancelled. Belch

So, what do I do to get my fix nowadays? Youtube.com. Today I looked up one of my favorite new songs by MGMT and it made me think, now that I am in my "later years" I can still be swept away into an imaginary land, just not on the good ol' tube like in the 80's.

p.s. you gotta love the showbiz shout out in the video! how random, i only wish i remembered their names..billy bob and ....hmmmmmmmm





No comments: