Sunday, December 7, 2008

Breakfast, on sunday? at noon? Now That's Crazy!

A couple of you read my letter to the Editor of the QCTimes that came out the day after our wedding. You know, the one where I voiced my frustration about landlords not renting to tenants with animals? Well, I have a new MAJOR frustration. Now, maybe I lived in Chicago too long where you can pretty much find whatever it is you're looking for 24/7, but I don't think so. I am a fairly consistent person, work a 9 to 5, weekends off, go to bed at a decent hour, so what is my beef you ask?? Sunday, that's right, Sunday in the Quad Cities.

You might as well write Sunday off, a day to stay in and accomplish your tasks at home. It's certainly not a day to explore local shopping in the Quad Cities, nor to eat at the local restaurants, Why? They're not open!!

This has frustrated me for some time, but really hit me today. Julie is in town from Chicago and we are planning on brunch or breakfast at noon. I got online to look up some places I've been wanting to try to see if they're open since I am aware of the Sunday plague around here and only one of them was! I tried Atlante, Cafe Fresh, Mama Comptons, the Bread Basket(which was open till 2 but no real breakfast just yummy pasties and breads) and Cafe Indigo. Cafe Indigo is open until 2 today, but they STOP SERVING BREAKFAST AT 11????

I don't understand how a business owner can shut down their operation on a day when the majority of the population is not working? To me this is a huge opportunity to make $$.

Since moving to the QC I see so many opportunities to pump some life into this place EVERYDAY. From this experience my idea is to to open a restaurant called, "Just Breakfast, Anytime" how clever,right? No it's simple. My restauant would serve breakfast all the time. My hours would be Sunday - Thursday 6am-11pm and Fri-Sat 24/7. I would serve regular breakfast and have a section of my menu devoted to organic and vegan dishes.

Now, I'm off to get ready. I'll be meeting my freind at Johnny's Steakhouse for brunch. Great brunch, but not the quaint, local place I was hoping to spend my $$ at.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Thanks for following my blog, and I couldn't agree more about shops being closed on Sundays - it is so so annoying! Here in France nothing at all is open. Your breakfast all day idea is so good that I would take it off the net and do it! SO MANY people would want that, and I would be first in line!
:)