Thursday, February 19, 2009

Food, yum!!

Last weekend I stopped into one of my favorite places in Davenport, Riverbend Antiques. If you have not been, it is worth it just to see Jazz alone (the dreadlocked giant poodle)! Riverbend Antiques has been around for 38 years at the 400block of Brady Street in downtown Davenport. The store occupies four buildings and you even walk through a cute little court yard to get to a section. Every era is under one roof! I could spend hours looking through all the cool old antiques and rumor has it, it's haunted. Scary!

At any rate, I spent some time chatting with the owner. While we were discussing restaurants and movies he mentioned that Le Mekong has the best springs rolls in the QC. This is all it took, Le Mekong has been on my list of places to try for a long time now.

Mike and I decided to go on Wednesday. Knowing that I was going to indulge, I paid my dues. After work I ran two miles and went to a pilates class before heading home and to the restaurant.

Ron, at the antique shop, mentioned the spring rolls so Mike and I both tried them. At only $1.95 a piece we thought this was a great deal! O, I have to mention the awesome peanut sauce with a hint of siracha.



We ordered a second appetizer that Ron recommended called Banh Xeo or Vietnamese pancake. It's a crepe like dish filled with all sorts of good stuff, shrimp, bean sprouts, onions(which I normally hate, but these were prepared in a way that left them with just a faint taste)cucumber and wonderful seasonings. Banh Xeo is served with a light sauce, lettuce leaves and is spooned and eaten inside the lettuce, like a lettuce wrap. I'll go back again just for this!






Next we ordered two entrees to share.



We chose the Emperor Seafood Rice cooked and served in a clay pot, it was one of my favorite dishes ever. Lot's of fresh veggies with sea scallops and shrimp!



Our other entree was the Ha Long Noodles. A combination of fresh veggies, shrimp, chicken and egg noodles. This was really good, but I'd try something different next time.



Overall we really enjoyed our dinner at Le Mekong, and will be returning again in the near future!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should reconsider your professions.....you guys would make great food critics!

The Adventuresome Road to Where? said...

i would love to be a food critic! i really need to expand my vocab first and quit my day job so i can work off the lbs i'd gain!