Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm feeling quorny



I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, took a year off to dabble with meat, reconfirmed that it is not for me and have been eating vegetarian for the past several months again.

I have been a little burnt out lately when it comes to meal ideas so this week when I went to the g store I made a real effort to buy some new things.

I tried Quorn products a few years ago when they first came out(in the Chicago area) but they quickly fell off my radar. I noticed them again in the freezer aisle this week and decided to give them another try. I remember the products being good but just being leery of what the products were derived from.

Tonight I made Quorn Chicken along with some seasoned veggies and brown rice.


Dinner was great! So I decided to do a little research and figure out just exactly what Quorn is. Believe it or not Quorn comes from a fungi, you know like mushrooms. The website states that "The principal ingredient in all Quorn products is mycoprotein (“myco” is Greek for “fungi”). The mycoprotein comes from Fusarium venenatum, which was originally discovered growing in a field in Buckinghamshire, England. In the late 1960s, initial product development began, soon recognizing mycoprotein’s potential as an efficient and nutritious protein source."

I checked out the back of the box and sure enough, these are packed with protien! I will definetly be adding this product into my diet. It opens a lot of options up for me since meat is just not for me. Give it a try and let me know what you think!





O and P.S for all of you with access to Trader Joes. Their organic brown rice saves my life! I eat a lot of veggies, but everyone needs a little bit of carbs to stick to the ribs, these come in microwavable packets and take just 3 minutes. LOVE IT!

No comments: