Monday, May 17, 2010

Birthday #2

Saturday my parents decided to FINALLY come to Chicago for a visit and to celebrate my birthday! It had been a long time coming so I was pretty excited for them to finally make the 3 hour drive.

They arrived around 1-ish and we had a light lunch at home. Well, light until my mom busted out the cupcakes.



We decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to burn a bit of those cupcakes off before we headed out to do a little shopping. We hit up West Elm, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, I don't think any of us bought anything but it was still fun.

We had a 7:00 dinner reservation at Fiddlehead in Lincoln Square. I agonized over this decision for a week. I wanted something that had interesting food and a good wine selection. After checking out their menu online it seemed like the perfect place. Some unique entrees, a great wine list that even offered flights, excellent beer selection AND a cheese menu! It seemed to have everything!

First we ended up ordering flights and a cheese plate. The cheese was amazing and the wine was good, except for one glass that my mom had to choke down. Mike ordered the sangria and really enjoyed it.




After we finished our cheese we ordered our entrees. I decided to go with the pan roasted salmon with artichoke hearts, peas, asparagus, fava beans with romesco sauce, other entrees ordered were the house smoked brisket, organic half roast chicken and special of the day white fish. I really enjoyed my salmon and veggies, I think everyone else enjoyed theirs as well.



The next morning I made omelets and muffins and we watched New Moon, great for me and Mom, not so exciting for Mike and Dad, lol. O well, we were still celebrating
Mother's Day and my birthday, they can pick next time!

It was a fun visit, hopefully they come back again soon!


No comments: