Saturday, May 29, 2010

take a hike

This mornings recipe was inspired by a trip to Bleeding Heart Bakery last weekend. Bleeding Heart is pretty close to us and I'd wanted to hit it up for a while. We decided to stop on our way to Volo Antique mall for some coffee and muffins.

I was intrigued by the Take A Hike scone as I read somewhere that is was their specialty. Mike ordered the blueberry scone. I obviously like mine because I tried to take a stab at recreating it myself this morning, plus I've never made scones and it sounded fun.

The recipe is as follows:

8 oz Earth Balance buttery stick vege oil spread or other vegan margarine (do not use shortening)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup organic light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup dried fruit, cut into small dice (any combinations: cranberries, apples, apricots, or other fruit)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
4 tbsp flaxseeds
3/4 cup plain soy milk

Cut the buttery sticks or margarine into chunks and freeze for a minimum of 1 hr.

In the bowl of a electric mixer, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in the oats. Using the dough hook attachment on med-low speed, cut frozen margarine into dry ingredients until pea size chunks are left, 2-3 min. Scrap down the ingredients as needed as they creep up the sides of bowl.

Briefly mix in the dried fruits, pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds. Add soymilk (mixture will look soggy, but keep mixing until it reaches a thick, oatmeal-like consistency and isn't runny, about 1-2 min).

Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface; with hands, pull the dough together and roll to a thickness of 1 1/2 inches. Cut out scones with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper and bake for 25-28 min at 375 degrees. Scones will puff up and crack on the top. Cool completely. (makes 9 or 10)


I tweaked this a little. These are meant to be vegan but I used 4 oz of butter instead and added an egg yolk. I just couldn't bring myself to but in two sticks of butter. So I guess you could say mine were a slightly less fat version. I also used dried apples and cherries.

I had to improvise a but on the mixing since I don't have a pastry mixer or dough hook attachment. I think I just about killed my mixer, but in the end all was mixed.

I also realized I don't have a circle cookie cutter, so I busted out the christmas cookie cutters and used the roundest shape I could find, a bell.

This recipe made a ton! Granted they are on the smaller side, nowhere near as big as the ones from Bleeding Heart but they are so hearty one is all I needed.



BTW, the cupcake flavors at Bleeding Heart looked phenomenal. Next time I want to indulge I will be hitting them up! They also do breakfast baskets and what not so if you come visit me you can try them for yourself!

No comments: