Friday, March 27, 2009

Black Bean Cakes

I was inspired to try a few recipes over the weekend. Friday evening I made black bean cakes that I found in the lastest issue of Better Homes and Gardens. These were good, and a refreshing change! I have already filed these in the mental recipe box for future making!

I even had a helper!


Ingredients ( I halfed this recipe. it made 2 servings, 2 cakes each)
1-1/2 cups prepared salsa
1 jalapeño pepper
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 8.5-oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. olive oil (I only used one)
1/2 cup dairy sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Directions
1. In colander, drain 1/2 cup of the salsa. Seed and finely chop half of the jalapeño; thinly slice remaining half. In large bowl mash beans with vegetable masher or fork. Stir in muffin mix, drained salsa, 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, and chopped jalapeño.

2. In 12-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add four 1/2-cup mounds bean mixture to skillet. Flatten mounds with spatula to 3-1/2-inch-round cakes. Cook 3 minutes each side until browned. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining oil and bean mixture.



3. In bowl combine sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Top cakes with remaining salsa, sliced jalapeño, and seasoned sour cream. Makes 4 (2-cake) servings.

I want to try some variations of this in the future, perhaps using a wheat flour instead of the corm muffin mix...and maybe incorporating a mango sauce!

No comments: